What is Marathon Couples Therapy?
Marathon Couples therapy is an intensive form of couples counseling that occurs over a period of 3 consecutive days, usually a weekend using Gottman methods. Marathon Couples therapy allows couples to dive deeply into their issues without the frustration of the “start and stop” feeling of weekly sessions.
In general you will meet for 5-6 hours each day with breaks built in for lunch, reflection, and individualized activities.
Who is Marathon Counseling good for?
- Couples recovering from an affair or other type of major betrayal.
- Couples that are on the brink of divorce or separation.
- Couples that have limited time for weekly sessions.
- Couples that are discerning whether they would like to stay together or part ways.
- Long distance couples that are not always in the same city or state.
- Couples that are frustrated with weekly, traditional format sessions.
How is this different from other types of couples therapy?
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy has a huge focus on process over content. This means that during our time together we work to help you make the process of your relationship better through giving you tools that you can continue to use.
- Prior to your scheduled 3-day we will send you The Gottman Relationship Check up. This assessment provides us with a depth of information not usually available until 3 sessions into traditional therapy. Our Marathon therapists are approved to provide this assessment.
- The format (long and intense) allows couples to take the time they need to truly discuss and express the issues they’ve been having. This gives the therapist an opportunity to uncover the very core of the issue.
Where do we meet for the Marathon sessions?
Most marathon sessions are held in our Center City, Philadelphia office. We are also available for travel in certain situations. Please inquire upon contacting us if this is something you may be interested in.
What is the Gottman Method?
To learn more, click here.